Capacity of and planning criteria for rescue services and civil emergency preparedness
The aim of the project is to find out how the capacity and services of the rescue services and civil emergency preparedness currently respond to the operating environment, risks and customer needs. The project seeks to establish consistent procedures and practices to respond to changes in the operating environment and risks.
The project is divided into ten work packages:
- Development of a national process for analysing the operating environment and the carrying out of the operating environment analysis
- Reforming of risk models and accident and incident predictions
- Updating and reforming of the information base
- Study on the services that customers need from rescue services and gaining customer insight
- New solutions for service provision of rescue services in sparsely populated areas
- Performance of rescue operations in relation to capacity requirements
- Capacity for incident and accident prevention in relation to capacity requirements
- Preparedness and civil defence
- Finances, human resources and cost analysis
- Project management and communications
The project package is part of the implementation of the rescue services reform. The project will also gather information and present reasons for supporting the preparation of the Government report on internal security and the updating of the national risk analysis.
Background to the preparation
The rescue services lack a comprehensive proposal for and analysis of the rescue services’ performance and the capacity requirements at national, regional and local level that are based on consistent information and criteria. The development of service planning requires consistent practices and the development of the related information base too.
For each work package, one or more persons have been appointed to ensure that the objectives of the package will be achieved. The operational steering group of the project package consists of representatives of the Ministry of the Interior, Pelastusopisto – Emergency Services Academy Finland, the Association of Finnish Local and Regional Authorities, rescue departments and divisions of rescue services and preparedness at the Regional State Administrative Agencies.
The project management group is the management group of the Ministry of the Interior's Department for Rescue Services. The project package is monitored under the meeting of leaders of the cooperation structure for the rescue services and civil preparedness.
The project was set up on 4 February 2020 and it will run until 31 December 2021.